Treats for grown-ups
Where to find your Halloween nightlife
By Michael Witthaus
This year’s all-hallows activities are all over the map, with events that began in early October, but there’s still plenty to do this year, and not just naughty nurse and caped vampire store-bought fun either.
For something interesting and different, Psychic Medium Asrianna Dameron comes to Concord’s Holiday Inn (172 North Main St., Concord) on Friday, Oct. 28, at noon for a gallery reading event, promising to “connect with deceased loved ones and bring through messages of peace and understanding for many members of the audience,” according to a press release. Tickets cost $40 and registration is required; call 264-6203. No word on whether she can track down people who owe you money or that guy/girl who never called back even though you seemed to really hit it off.
Frankenstein: A New Musical plays all weekend long at the Majestic Theatre (281 Cartier St. in Manchester, 669-7469, tickets $12-$18), and midnight movie favorite Rocky Horror Picture Show is screening at the Red River Theatres (11 S. Main St. in Concord, 224-4600) — can’t get more Halloween than that!
From a pre-party at one of Manchester’s newest night spots to a couple of events on the actual event night, here’s a well-rounded list for 2011’s ghouls and gals.
Thursday, Oct. 27
• L&M Grand (61 Canal St., Manchester, 518-5547) DJ Coolz hosts a Halloween Mansion party with cash and prizes for best costumes. Begins at 8 p.m.
• The Press Room (77 Daniel St., Portsmouth, 431-5186) hosts an Undead Beat Night, with jazz and poetry, featuring Seasmoke. There’s no cover charge. Begins at 9 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 28
• Bow Lake Grange Hall (569 Province Road, Strafford, 664-5557) has some Halloween dinner theater: the Lakeside Players present the spooky musical fun of Bloodhounds by Eileen Moushey. Watch as the staff of The Strafford Star investigates whether a vampire is on the loose in our fair community. Tickets are $20, including dinner. BYOB. Begins at 7 p.m.
• Dana Center at Saint Anselm College (100 Saint Anselm Drive, Manchester, 641-7770) Tricks and Treats with The Amazing Mark Nizer, using cutting-edge technology to transform the art of juggling and change the way we view the world. Tickets $27.50. Begins at 7 p.m.
• Dover Brick House (2 Orchard St., Dover, 749-3838) Paranoid Social Club performs its annual Halloween show with special guests The Alchemystics. Tickets are $11. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Flying Monkey Movie House & Performing Arts Center (39 Main St., Plymouth, 536-2551) Roots of Creation hosts its Annual Halloween Bash, featuring an eclectic mix of rock music. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Fratello’s Laconia (799 Union Ave., Laconia, 528-2022) Paul Warnick performs a wide variety of music. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Fratello’s Manchester (155 Dow Street, Manchester, 624-2022) David Rousseau plays favorites. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Hen House Sports Bar and Grill (85 South Main St, Newton, 382-1705) The Halloween party features a DJ, no cover, and a costume contest. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Jam Factory (1211 Elm St., Manchester, 203-1458) Halloween show featuring new wave rockers Liberation Day, The Furiousity, Union Guns of ’62 (with members of The River City Rebels) and Death Waltz ’76. $5 suggested donation. Begins at 8 p.m.
• JD Chaser’s (2B Burnham Road, Hudson, 886-0792) Crave’s Slaughter House Halloween Bash returns with local cover band Crave, along with Jason Quinno and Shawn Landers’ band with Tom and Gary, with best costume prizes. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Junkyard (522 Amherst St., Nashua, 882-6026) Halloween Bash Costume Ball, best costume wins $1,000. Sexiest women in black competition, with $1 drinks from 8 to 9 p.m., $2 drinks 9 to 10 p.m., no cover before 10 p.m. Admission $5, with VIP tickets $10. Begins at 8 p.m.
• L&M Grand (61 Canal St., Manchester, 518-5547) Dallas-based rockers Jonathan Tyler and the Northern Lights perform at a Rock 101 bash presented by New England Concerts. Costumes are encouraged. Tickets are $13 at www.ticketmaster.com. Begins at 7 p.m.
• The Lodge at Belmont (1265 Laconia Road, Belmont, 267-7778) Tom Dixon Band performs at the annual Halloween costume party, with prizes for best costume and scariest costume, and a Bacardi promotion from 9 to 11 p.m. Tickets are $5 for this 21+ event. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Mad Bob’s Saloon (342 Lincoln St., Manchester, 669-3049) Metal Massacre 6 with Among The Living (’80s metal tribute), Mötley Whö (Motley Crue tribute), One Way to Rock (Sammy Hagar/Van Halen tribute) and DIO-mitri (Dio tribute), with awards for best costume at this 21+ event. Tickets are $10. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Main Street Concord (Various locations in downtown Concord, call 228-2150 for more info) hosts the annual Halloween Howl, with Trick-or-Treating for kids, stargazing with McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center, live music in Bicentennial Square beginning at 5:30p.m., a costume parade at the Statehouse Plaza, WJYY’s DJ Nazzy, horse-drawn wagon rides for $3, and many downtown eateries staying open throughout the celebration. Begins at 5 p.m.
• Murray’s Tavern (326 S. Broadway, Salem, 893-4055) George Williams Band performs a Long Trail-sponsored night. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Pasta Loft (241 Union Square, Milford, 672-2270) Halloween Bash 2011 with Tom Dixon Band. Prizes for best and most creative costume. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Pasta Loft Brickhouse Tavern (220 East Main St., East Hampstead, 378-0092) Savant Squad plays a mix of classic and modern rock music. Begins at 8 p.m.
• The Rockingham Ballroom (22 Ash Swamp Road, Newmarket, 659-4410) Motor Booty Affair performs at a Halloween Party that’s open to 21+ only. Tickets are $15 in advance or $20 at the door with full cash car available.
• Wally’s Pub (144 Ashworth Ave., Hampton, 926-6954) Prospect Hill performs hard rock originals and covers with support from deadseason. Begins at 8 p.m.
• White Birch Brewery (222 Central St., Hudson, 579-3636) Natalie Turgeon Band performs country music, with fans encouraged to dress up and enjoy the evening. Advance tickets $10, barbecue buffet, meats smoked by Pitmaster Anthony $13.95, buy both for $20. Day of show $15 show only, $25 buffet and show. Begins at 7 p.m.
• The Yard / Midnight Rodeo (1211 S. Mammoth Road, Manchester, 623-3545) The NHRD Monster Bash happens. Begins at 9 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 29
• Amber Room (53 High St., Nashua, 881-9060) New Hampshire’s biggest Halloween costume ball with cash and prizes given out for best costumes — winner receives a pair of Bruins tickets. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Asian Breeze (1328 Hooksett Road, Hooksett, 621-9298) A Halloween party with the band Troy & Teamack, a costume contest and prizes. Begins at 8:30 p.m.
• Backstage Bar & Grill (56 Canal St., Nashua, 598-8256) The newly opened club, located at the site of the old Gate City Pub, hosts its first Halloween party with a live DJ and a $500 cash prize for top costume. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Baja Beach Club @ China Bistro (89 Lake St., Laconia, 524-0008) Halloween party with $3 drinks all night for everyone. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Barley Pub (328 Central Ave., Dover, 742-4226) Spinal Tarp — a spoof on a spoof. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Blue Mermaid Island Grill (on the hill at Hanover and High streets, Portsmouth, 427-2583) Halloween party is planned for 8 p.m.; call for details. Lit on the Flish will perform.
• Boston Billiard Club (55 Northeastern Blvd., Nashua, 943-5630) Halloween party with beer specials, costume contest, cash prize, DJ dancing and drink specials. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Boynton’s Taproom (155 Dow St., Manchester, 623-7778) Dueling Pianos Halloween party with prizes for best costume. Tickets are $20. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Breezeway Pub (14 Pearl St., Manchester, 621-9111) A DJ spins — always a treat — but there’s no contest or prizes, and also no cover (there’s always Goth night on Thursday). Begins at 9 p.m.
• Casino Ballroom (169 Ocean Blvd., Hampton Beach, 929-4100) Queensryche celebrates 30 years of complex thoughtful metal with local heroes Mindset X opening. Tickets are $21 in advance or $24 day of show. Begins at 7 p.m.
• The Castleton (92 Indian Rock Road, Windham, 898-6300) Halloween Dance Party with costumes optional, hosted by Together of NH, with a professional DJ. $12 before 9 p.m., $15 after 9 p.m. at door. Complimentary hors d’oevres until 8:30 p.m. Business casual, non-smoking, cash bar, door prizes. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Chop Shop Bar & Grill (920 Lafayette Road, Seabrook, 760-7704) Get your imagination going with the club’s second birthday bash starring Hypercane and a $500 Halloween costume contest. Crazy Train will perform. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Circle 9 Ranch (Windymere Drive, Epsom, 736-9656) The Fair Game Band plays country music, with tickets costing $10. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Club 313 (93 S. Maple St., Manchester, 628-2810) Annual costume contest with $1,000 in cash and prizes. Ages 18+.
• Corner Pocket (181 Plaistow Road, Plaistow, 382-3130) Experimental rock trio Third Stone Odyssey performs an All-Hallow’s Eve party. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Dover Brick House (2 Orchard St., Dover, 749-3838) Celebrate the 3rd Annual Boo Bash with rock music from On the Run and The Vital Might. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Dugout Grille (93 Main St., Plaistow, 819-4947) A Halloween party features DJ, costume contest and other specials. Cover $5. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Elks Club (39 Shadow Lake Road, Derry, 622-4991) Ghouls Just Wanna Have Fun starring Profile Chorus, a fun and energetic award-winning women’s a cappella show chorus — a Spooktacular musical comedy with skits, a variety of vocal selections and special guest performances by Average Joes, Musicality and Queen City Harmony. There will be a cash bar, munchies and silent auction. Tickets are $12 in advance or $15 at the door. Begins at 7 p.m.
• Famous Legends Bar & Grill at Strikers East (4 Essex Drive, Raymond, 895-4474) A Halloween party with Southern Breeze has no cover and features a costume contest with prizes of $100, $50 and $25. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Flying Monkey Movie House & Performing Arts Center (39 Main St., Plymouth, 536-2551) Rocky Horror Picture Show screens at 8 and 11:30 p.m. Bring rice, confetti and toast and dress accordingly.
• Fratello’s Manchester (155 Dow St., Manchester, 624-2022) Dogfathers play an engaging mix of modern rock and pop. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Gary’s Restaurant & Sports Lounge (38 Milton Road, Rochester, 335-4279) Spiral Circus Halloween costume party includes a $500 first-place prize for best costume. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Gravity Tavern (35 Mont Vernon Road, New Boston, 487-2011) A Halloween party with Duty Free performing classic rock includes a best costume contest. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Green Martini (6 Pleasant St., Concord, 223-6672) Scott Barnett Band performs at a no-cover Halloween party. Begins at 8:30 p.m.
• Holidays Bar and Grill (346 Hooksett Road, Auburn, 483-0880) Americana stalwarts Raising Scarlet entertain at a special Halloween show that promises to be scary. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Holy Grail Food & Spirits (64 Main St., Epping, 679-9559) Wear your best costume and be part of the contest at the annual Halloween party with prizes for first, second and third place. Sandy Casey performs. Begins at 9 p.m.
• J.W. Hill’s (795 Elm St., Manchester, 645-7422) Halloween fun at this downtown bar and restaurant includes a Magic Hat promotion and a costume contest. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Jam Factory (1211 Elm St., Manchester, 203-1458) Not Your Mom’s Halloween Party presented by Not Your Mom’s Musical Theater, with spooky musical theater songs sung by NYMMT favorite performers and Halloween-themed performances by local bands The Fitted Shirt and Tuna Fish Discrepancy. Tickets for the 21+ event are $5, with freebies, raffles and costumes encouraged. Begins at 7 p.m.
• JD Chaser’s (2B Burnham Rd, Hudson, 886-0792) Horizon Halloween Ball features fright, fun and music from local band Horizon. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Jillian’s Billiard Club (50 Philippe Cote Drive, Manchester, 626-7636) 2011 Jillian’s Halloween Monsta Bash with Crowne Vict and Thurkills Vision. It’s a 21+ party and admission is $10. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Jocelyn’s Lounge (355 South Broadway, Salem, 870-0045) A Halloween costume party features a live DJ. Begins at 9 p.m.
• KC’s Rib Shack (837 Second St., Manchester, 858-7427) The Dude abides at a Big Lebowski-themed Halloween party with the Rezidudes playing upstairs, Lebowski-themed drinks, and miscellaneous themed costume prizes. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Kelley’s Row (421 Central Ave., Dover, 750-7081) Their Halloween party rocks with Gazpacho. Begins at 9 p.m.
• L&M Grand (61 Canal St., Manchester, 518-5547) The new club’s Haunted Mansion Halloween Bash features $1,500 in prizes for the best costumes, DJ Master Millions, and a live performance by Constantino. Begins at 8 p.m.
• The Lodge At Belmont (1265 Laconia Road, Belmont, 267-7778) Tom Dixon Band performs at the Phase II Halloween costume party, with prizes for best and scariest costume, and a Bacardi promotion from 9 to 11 p.m. Tickets are $5 for this 21+ event. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Mad Bob’s Saloon (342 Lincoln St., Manchester, 669-3049) Metal Massacre 7 continues the hard rock tribute schtick with performances from Outta d’Cellar (Ratt), Problem Child (AC/DC) and Flight 666 (Iron Maiden). Awards will be given for best costume at this 21+ event. Tickets are $10 (both nights included). Begins at 9 p.m.
• Murphy’s Taproom (494 Elm St., Manchester, 644-3535) Best Not Broken plays original and cover rock songs. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Paddy’s American Grill (27 International Drive, Portsmouth, 430-9450) Paddy’s annual Halloween costume party with DJ Good Vibrations offers cash prizes and giveaways for best male, best female and most original costumes. Free admission with costume, $5 cover without costume. Must be 21+. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Paradise Beach Club (322 Lakeside Ave., Laconia, 366-2665) The annual Halloween party features a contest with five costume categories — there’s $1,200 in cash, trophies and prizes. Tickets $12 in advance or $15 at the door. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Pasta Loft (241 Union Square, Milford, 672-2270) Dave Gerard (Truffle) and His Groove Thang host the annual Halloween Bash. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Pasta Loft Brickhouse Tavern (220 East Main St., East Hampstead, 378-0092) No Big Secret plays rock songs. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Patrick’s (18 Weirs Road, Gilford, 293-0841) George Lodge & Jim Hollis perform as a duo with great tunes with a serious dose of fun, so don’t forget your costume. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Portsmouth Gas Light Co. (64 Market St., Portsmouth, 431-9122) A Halloween Event Part III — what will you become? Cash & prizes for sexiest, scariest, and most unique costumes. Deck and club doors open at 8 p.m. Costumes are mandatory. Pre-purchase tickets at the Gas Light website. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Prime Time Sports Grill (620 Lafayette Road, Seabrook, 760-7230) Music from a live band and a costume contest with prizes are among the activities planned. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Queen City Ballroom Dance Studio (21 Dow St., Manchester, 622-1500) Halloween costume ballroom dance party with prizes for best costumes. Light refreshments. A danceable mix of contemporary and classic recorded ballroom music. Singles and couples of all levels welcome. Begins at 7 p.m.
• Red Blazer (72 Manchester St., Concord, 224-4101) 8 p.m. to midnight, pizza bar at 10:30, rock out with Chafed or get your funk on with DJ Mad Dog. Dress the Decade for the ’70s and ’80s themed party. $15.
• Ri Ra Irish Pub (22 Market Square, Portsmouth, 319-1680) The Celtic pub’s Monsta Halloween Party features Emergency Broadcast System playing classic rock, modern pop, soul and dance music. Begins at 10 p.m.
• Rocko’s Bar & Grill (253 Wilson St., Manchester, 626-5866) A Halloween party with a DJ, various specials, and costume prizes is tentatively planned for 8 p.m.
• Steve-N-James Tavern (187 Rockingham Road, Derry, 434-0600) Halloween party with DJ Millions. No cover, costume party with raffles, and prizes for best costume. Begins at 8 p.m.
• TJ’s Sports Bar (21 Central St., Manchester, 657-9710) Zanois travels back in time to the year 1982 for a Halloween Spooktacular Extravaganzas, joined by American Bred. The event is 21+. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Van Otis Chocolates (341 Elm St., Manchester, 627-1611) Trick or Treat Night runs 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at this downtown chocolate haven, with games and a coloring contest for kids, a $50 Van Otis gift card for best costume, demonstrations in the Sweet Spot, Witche’s Brew fruit punch, a chocolate fountain, Zorvino Vineyards wine tasting, and a free raffle for Chocolatier Jack Michael’s Halloween Chocolate Creation.
• Wally’s Pub (144 Ashworth Ave., Hampton, 926-6954) The Bars host a Halloween party. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Whippersnappers (44 Nashua Road, Londonderry, 434-2660) Souled Out Soul Show Band performs, with prizes for best and sexiest costumes. $5 cover. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Wild Rover (21 Kosciuszko St., Manchester, 669-7722) Halloween costume bash with Nate Comp & Demetri performing, and you can meet the Captain & his Morganettes from 9 to 11 p.m. Prizes for sexiest, scariest & funniest costumes. Begins at 9 p.m.
• The Yard / Midnight Rodeo (1211 S. Mammoth Road, Manchester, 623-3545) Line dancing and country music with the Country Mile Band — it’s 21+ and admission is $10. Begins at 9 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 30
• Armory Ballroom (Radisson Hotel, Manchester, 625-1000) Halloscream Halloween costume party/bash with (hed)p.e. and special guest Slaine, from La Coka Nostra. Also starring Scarecrow Hill, K. Daver Eastside Street Killaz and Hy Town Records artists. Begins at 2 p.m. Tickets are available at www.ticketmaster.com.
• Chop Shop Bar & Grill (920 Lafayette Road, Seabrook, 760-7704) Get your imagination going with the club’s second birthday bash starring Crazy Train with cash prizes, giveaways and drink specials. Begins at 9 p.m.
• Daniel Street Tavern (111 Daniel St., Portsmouth, 430-1011) Skaraoke offers prizes for best costumes, no cover. Begins at 8 p.m.
• The Frost Farm (122 Rockingham Road, Derry, 624-2801) Dead Poets Remembrance Day Reading with Poets Mimi White, Mark DeCarteret, Bill Gleed, Robert Crawford and S Stephanie reading the works of and speaking on the lives of Jane Kenyon, Robert Lowell, Robert Frost, Edna St.Vincent Millay and May Sarton. The national day of remembrance was founded by The Dead Poets Society of America. Begins at 1 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 31
• Billy’s Sports Bar & Grill (34 Tarrytown Road, Manchester, 622-3644) Halloween costume party with spooktacular drink specials and a costume contest. Begins at 8 p.m.
• Fody’s Tavern (9 Clinton St., Nashua, 577-9015) A Halloween party features a DJ and prizes for best costume. Begins at 8 p.m.
Trick-or-Treat When to hit the streets
By Jeff Mucciarone
Manchester passed the test. Last year, trick-or-treaters in Manchester actually trick-or-treated on Halloween — for the first time since the 1970s. Trick-or-treaters will be knocking on doors once again this year on Halloween, Monday, Oct. 31, from 6 to 8 p.m.
In the past, Manchester held trick-or-treating in the afternoon and as much as a week prior to Halloween. That was done for public safety reasons, given that Manchester is a large city. After having received many calls from parents about returning trick-or-treating to the evening, Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas asked Police Chief David Mara to consider moving it last year. Mara said he was viewing last year as a trial run.
Here is the trick-or-treat schedule for area cities:
Sunday, Oct. 30
Auburn, 1 to 4 p.m.
Boscawen, 5 to 7 p.m.
Epsom, 4 to 7 p.m.
Penacook, 5 to 7:30 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 31
Amherst, 6 to 8 p.m.
Bedford, 6 to 8 p.m.
Bow, 5 to 8 p.m.
Brookline, 6 to 8 p.m.
Candia, 5 to 8 p.m.
Chester, 6 to 8 p.m.
Chichester, 4 to 7 p.m.
Concord, 5 to 7:30 p.m.
Contoocook, 5 to 8 p.m.
Deering, 4 to 8 p.m.
Derry, 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Dunbarton, 5 to 8 p.m.
Francestown, 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Goffstown, 6 to 8 p.m.
Henniker, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Hollis, 6 to 8 p.m.
Hooksett, 6 to 8 p.m.
Hopkinton, 5 to 8 p.m.
Hudson, 6 to 8 p.m.
Litchfield, 6 to 8 p.m.
Londonderry, 5 to 8 p.m.
Loudon, 5 to 8 p.m.
Lyndeborough, 6 to 8 p.m.
Manchester, 6 to 8 p.m.
Merrimack, 6 to 8 p.m.
Milford, 6 to 8 p.m.
Mont Vernon, 6 to 8 p.m.
Nashua, 6 to 8 p.m.
New Boston, 6 to 8 p.m.
Pelham, 5 to 8 p.m.
Pembroke, 5:30 to 8 p.m.
Salem, 6 to 8 p.m.
Weare, 5 to 7 p.m.
Wilton, 6 to 8 p.m.